How Can I End Child Support Payments if My Mom Is Raising My Child?

Parents are obligated to provide financially for their child regardless of whether they are in their care or not. Both parents should try to work together to establish an amicable child support agreement outside of the courts, if possible. If the parties cannot agree, the custodial parent may file a petition for child support payments.

If your mother or father has been granted custody and a child support order for your child, then you are legally obligated to pay the grandparents support for raising your child until they reach the age of majority or until a new court order changing support is entered. The amount of support you are required to pay is dependent upon each parent’s financial situation and any existing custody arrangements.

Circumstances for Child Support Modifications

Once a court order for child support has been issued, it can be modified or terminated at a later date if the circumstances leading to the order have changed and making the change is in the best interests of the child.

Criteria for changing a child support order in Virginia sometimes include:

  • Loss of employment.
  • Emancipation of the child for whom support is ordered.
  • A written agreement is reached regarding the modification or termination of payments.

When submitting a motion to the court to amend child support payments, you will be required to provide the courts with full disclosure and proof surrounding your circumstances. In some cases, the Virginia Department of Social Services has jurisdiction to order and modify child support orders outside of the court system. If you are considering modifying or terminating child support payments, you may want to speak with a Virginia family lawyer who regularly handles child support matters.

The following two tabs change content below.

Matt Kurylo

Latest posts by Matt Kurylo (see all)

The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation.

Click here for full disclaimer or view our Privacy Policy

Main Offices:

910 Littlepage Street
Suite A
Fredericksburg, VA 22401
Hours: M-Th 9a-5p, Fr 9a-1p

4085 Chain Bridge Road
Suite 300
Fairfax, VA 22030
Hours: M-Th 9a-5p, Fr 9a-1p

© Select Law Partners, PLLC. All rights reserved.